Genesee Health Plan to offer extended office hours to help people enroll in HealthCare.gov, Medicare, Medicaid or Genesee Health Plan
2020 Open Enrollment through the Federal Health Insurance Exchange – also known as HealthCare.gov (Affordable Care Act/Obamacare) – begins Nov. 1 and Genesee Health Plan (GHP) is here to help Genesee County residents enroll in health care coverage. GHP will also offer extended office hours to accommodate those who cannot enroll during normal business hours.
“Health coverage is essential to living a healthy life and we’re committed to being the central place to go for health care coverage and information,” said GHP President and CEO Jim Milanowski. “Genesee Health Plan makes the health coverage enrollment process less confusing by having highly trained staff who can help people get health coverage, learn how to keep it and use it.”
GHP will offer enrollment services for the following health care coverage options, with staff available to help residents determine which plan to enroll in.
- HealthCare.gov: Open Enrollment through HealthCare.gov runs Nov. 1 – Dec. 15 for people to shop for health insurance. Plans purchased through this enrollment period will start Jan. 1, 2020.
- Medicare: Open Enrollment began Oct. 15 and runs through Dec. 7. GHP has six certified Medicare and Medicaid Assistance Program (MMAP) Counselors available to assist residents with enrollment into a Medicare plan. Visit GHP’s website for more information about Medicare Open Enrollment.
- Healthy Michigan (Medicaid): Healthy Michigan is a Medicaid program offered through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS). Visit GHP’s website for more information about Healthy Michigan. Enrollment is year round.
- Genesee Health Plan: Genesee County residents who are at least 19 years old, do not have health insurance and meet the eligibility requirements may qualify for Genesee Health Plan coverage. Visit GHP’s website for more information about its health plan. Enrollment is year round.
GHP will offer extended office hours every Tuesday, beginning Nov. 5 through Dec. 10, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 9 and Saturday, Dec. 14 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. On Tuesday, Dec. 3, from 5-6 p.m., GHP will host a health care resource phone bank with WNEM TV5 to answer questions about health care enrollment and new Medicaid requirements.
On Thursday, Dec. 5, 5-7 p.m., GHP will hold an evening health care enrollment event in partnership with the Greater Flint Health Coalition and Hamilton Community Health Network. GHP will also provide health coverage enrollment in Bay and Saginaw counties by appointment. Residents in Bay and Saginaw Counties can schedule an appointment by calling GHP at 844-232-7740. Health care enrollment in Bay and Saginaw counties is made possible by a CMS grant GHP received in September.
The Greater Flint Health Coalition and Hamilton Community Health Network are also planning enrollment events and extended hours for enrollment. For a full list of events and extended hours, contact:
- Greater Flint Health Coalition: Call 810-232-2228, email email@example.com, or visit www.gfhc.org
- Hamilton Community Health Network: Call 810-406-4246 or visit www.hamiltonchn.org
“Genesee County is blessed to have a strong network of health care organizations dedicated to helping residents understand their health care coverage options,” said Greater Flint Health Coalition President and CEO Kirk Smith. “Thousands of Genesee County adults, families and seniors will be looking for health care coverage during open enrollment this year and we encourage community members to attend an enrollment event or extended office hours if they have questions or need help finding health care coverage.”
“With so many choices for health care coverage, it can be confusing and time-consuming to find the right plan,” said Hamilton Community Health Network CEO Clarence Pierce. “Working with our community partners, we hope to increase access to health care enrollment and make sure people have the coverage that best fits their needs.”
Anyone who needs to enroll in health care coverage is encouraged to call GHP’s office at 844-232-7740 to schedule an appointment. Enrollment takes place in GHP’s office at 2171 S. Linden Road in Flint. For more information, visit www.geneseehealthplan.org.
Health care enrollment services are supported by the Navigator Cooperative Agreement Award from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. The one-year grant will provide GHP $92,988 to assist with outreach and education efforts during pre- and post-health care enrollment. CMS will fund 31% ($92,988) of total program costs and GHP will fund 69% ($206,352) of the project costs, totaling $299,340.
The project described is supported by Funding Opportunity Number CMS-NAV-19-001 from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.